So it is that time of the year when parents are lining up for nursery admissions. Not surprisingly a casual conversation between me and my friend Anuradha Joshi, Principal of the highly regarded for decades now, Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, New Delhi veered towards what she thought parents should do or not do when in the principal’s office. Since Anu is a no frills no nonsense practical sensible sort, I thought it made sense to share her thoughts with anxious parents. Here’s what she had to say-
- DO BE ON TIME – this can’t be emphasized enough!
- DON’T SELL YOUR CHILD AS A PRODIGY – every child has some special ability.
- DON’T KEEP UNDERLINING WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE SCHOOL – the school has been existing even before you showed up at the admission office.
- DO KEEP PEACE WITH YOUR SPOUSE WHILE IN THE PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE –don’t fight, that is no place to wash your dirty linen.
- DON’T BE OVERLY AGGRESSIVE – the school authorities have been there,seen that.
and chill, your little scholar will surely find his/ her niche in this world!